Contrave is a new medication that combines two main ingredients: Bupropion and Naltrexone. Bupropion is a medicine that has been used for some time now to treat people suffering from depressions. This drug is also known to suppress appetite. Naltrexone is used in cases when people have addictions such as drug or alcohol addiction. Due to this medication the effects of alcohol or drugs inside the patient’s body are blocked. Naltrexone has one more important effect when it comes to weight loss – it is capable to control food carvings.
As to who can take Contrave, it must be pointed out that it should only be prescribed to adult patients whose Body Mass Index reaches or exceeds 27. If the BMI is 27, the person is considered overweight, once the Index reaches 30, the person is considered obese.
Contrave is a medication that works much better and helps people achieve more satisfying results if during the treatment the patient sticks to a low-calorie diet and increases physical activity.
Contrave should only be used in order to solve weight problems, it should not be taken to treat other medical conditions. I does not treat diabetes, doesn’t regulate blood pressure or the level of cholesterol. This medication, though its main components are Bupropion and Naltrexone, does not cure depressions and should not be used in order to give up smoking.
Anyone who is thinking of starting a treatment with Contrave weight loss drug should be aware that there are serious contraindications for this medicine. One should not take this drug if they fall under one or several of the following categories:
– Allergy to one or more of Contrave components.
– Any kind of eating disorder such as bulimia or anorexia.
– If the person had or still has seizures (Contrave can provoke seizures in people who have ever suffered from them).
– If the person has suddenly stopped taking seizure medications.
– Contrave is contraindicated if the patient used any kind of narcotic medication in the course of the past 10 days.
– If the person is currently being treated for drug or alcohol addiction or if they are taking Bupropion or any other medications that contain this drug.
If during the past fortnight the person has taken any of MAO inhibitors such as linezolid, isocarboxazid, rasagiline, tranylcypromine or others, they should not start taking Contrave.
The list of Cintrave contarindications is quite substantial, so make sure you give your doctor all the necessary information about your health before starting the treatment. In this way the risks to undermine your health will be minimal.
If any of the following apply to you, inform your physician about this:
– Tell the doctor if you have or ever had depressions, any kind of mental disorders or thoughts about suicide; it is also important to mention if any of your family members ever suffered from such medical conditions.
– If you are or have ever been addicted to any kinds of drugs or alcohol.
– If you usually drink a lot of alcohol.
– If you have diabetes or ever had low level of blood sugar.
– If you have liver or kidney problems.
– If you ever suffered from a head trauma.
– If you are currently taking or have taken any kind of medications during the past two weeks. Do not underestimate the importance of this information as taken together with certain drugs Contrave may cause severe and unexpected side effects and in order to avoid this make sure you provide your doctor with the full necessary information.
Contrave side effects include nausea, vomiting, headaches, dizziness, diarrhea, constipation and insomnia.
Owing to the fact that Contrave contains Bupropion, one can experience mood swings, depressions and even thoughts about suicide if they have never taken this drug before. Make sure your family members are aware of this possible side effect so that they could observe your behavior and alert the doctor at once if they notice any of these symptoms.
Contrave must not be taken by pregnant women because the medication can seriously damage the unborn baby’s health and cause severe birth problems. Breastfeeding women must also avoid taking the drug as passing into breast milk it can gravely affect the baby.
In order to use Contrave diet pill safely, follow these recommendations:
Do not change Contrave dosing without consulting your doctor. The dosage should not be exceeded or minimized without the specialist’s advice and the drug should not be taken for longer than it was prescribed.
The pills should be swallowed whole, they are not to be crushed or chewed.
Do not exceed the dose of four pills per day.
The risk that you can have a seizure while taking Contrave increases if you take it together with high-fat food. If you experience a seizure during the treatment, you should immediately stop taking the drug.
Before starting the treatment with Contrave one can never know if the medication is right for them and if it can yield the desired result. So if during the first 16 weeks of treatment you haven’t lost as much as 5% of your body weight, the drug might not be suitable for you.
Although your doctor can prescribe you a dosage different from the usual one, the maximum dose of Contrave is 4 pills a day (2 in the morning and 2 in the evening) and it should not be exceeded. Do not take more than 2 pills at once. Even if you miss a dose, wait till the time comes to take the next pills and take them as usual.
Do not take any other weight-loss medications to speed up the process of losing weight.